my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum   » Razorworks Important News

Author Topic: Razorworks Important News
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 11-20-2000 12:11 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.razorworks.com/enemyengaged/index.html

quote:

Empire Interactive today announced that they have acquired the entire issued share capital of Razorworks Limited.

Razorworks was founded by Kevin Bezant, Todd Gibbs, Dave Proctor and Matt Smith in 1996 and has developed PC games exclusively for Empire. Their first title was a combat helicopter simulation entitled “Enemy Engaged: Apache Havoc” which was released to critical acclaim in December 1998. It’s award winning successor “Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum” followed in March 2000.

Razorworks are currently working on the PlayStation 2 version of “World Sports Cars” along with West Racing who are developing the PC version. Both formats are planned for release by Empire in 2001.

Empire believes that its model of partnering with independent development studios establishes a creative and inspiring working environment that attracts and keeps top quality, proven development groups for long term relationships. Empire plan to further expand their internal development over the coming months.

Ian Higgins, CEO of Empire Interactive said, “As we stated at the time of the flotation, we plan to expand our in-house development so that we are both owning and controlling the content that the company publishes. The acquisition of Razorworks is part of this strategy and brings to Empire an excellent team of developers who will help us to develop new titles, grow our business and leverage our existing marketing and sales infrastructures”.

Kevin Bezant, Studio Manager of Razorworks said, “Empire’s acquisition of Razorworks has cemented our long standing working relationship and given us the resources we need to build our team and establish ourselves in the highly competitive car racing genre. World Sports Cars has a global appeal and is a fantastic first console title for us.”

Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 11-20-2000 12:28 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehe just want to add some of my thoughts on this remember i dont work for Empire or RW in anyway hehe i couldnt even get the tea boy job, but then again if u tasted my tea u know why.

I would say this is good for RW and sims in general.

1st Empire have trust and confidance in RW to make them the developer for there 1st PS2 title which is a big honour.

Also this title should sell well being one of the 1st proper racing games on the Ps2

Also this deal secures RW in a age when many sim companies have gone down the pan.

Empire as u know have been responsible for publishing many cool sims, such as Mig Alley, and the upcoming Battle of Britain by Rowan.
These are not dumbed down sims and are very ambitious.

I wouldnt also considered this like Hasbrow as Hasbrow where a toy company while empire always been a software company.
So this to me that Empire has plans for Razorworks and obviously not every game will be a sim. but consider this the late 90's , early 00's have most probaly been the worst time for sim makers.
These things always go in periods and i wouldnt be surprised like RPG's sims soon reach out of that depression and become a popular genre again.
When this happens RW will be there and there will be opportunity for them and other new companies in the wake of the Microprose/ Janes demise.

So u might have to be a bit patient for RW next sim but when the good financial days for sims return RW will be there with the expertise.

hehe guess i have to get a PS2 know as well

Sean Tudor
Member # 563

posted 11-20-2000 01:57 PM     Profile for Sean Tudor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting news. I agree it does somewhat secure the future of Razorworks.

But the future of flight sims is still shaky. It is also interesting to note that both Razorworks and CJ Martin's F/A-18 development team at EA have switched to racing sims.

Personally I think the racing sim genre suffers from too much product. I hope they succeed with their product if only to allow for the possible future development of another flight sim.

Posts: 123 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 11-20-2000 02:57 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there some more cool news on the way , if u in eechmods u will see it. But ill wait till i talk to a certain man from up north about it.
SuperDank
Member # 8013

posted 11-20-2000 02:58 PM     Profile for SuperDank   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just think there needs to be more active servers like QuakeIII, UnrealTournament, etc...
Posts: 36 | From: Rowland Heights, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
OBarbas
Member # 6676

posted 11-20-2000 05:29 PM     Profile for OBarbas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second the motion for more servers, Super.

As for Razorworks, this is the one piece of good news I have heard in a long time regarding software companies who have issued products I admire. Being an old Avalon Hill board game player from the '60s, I followed SSI's many turn-based games, culminating of course in Panzer General with its phenomenal AI, and Panzer General II which is the top-of-the-line Play By Email turn-based game. Anyway, news out within last 10 days is that whole SSI company is kaput, dissolved, fired, pink slips, after disastrous experience with The Learning Company/Mattel. Don't want to see flight sims go the same route.

Posts: 194 | From: New York, NY USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 11-20-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shame never knew that about SSI, never really into hex wargames much but known of them and respected there work.
I have faith in Empire will do a good job and get some good business from the PS2. Razorworks are a small team but no how to make great games and this should continue with PS2. Hehe i thinking how can u get Hokums into sports car and still make it a fair race.

FireFly
Member # 5496

posted 11-20-2000 05:55 PM     Profile for FireFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PS 2, eh? The guys at RW sure know about polygon count BTW, this is a bit off topic, but I have been looking for a good racing sim for a long time. Something realistic and trans-Continental. Any ideas?
Posts: 74 | From: Queens | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
buchstabe-bub
Member # 7704

posted 11-20-2000 06:03 PM     Profile for buchstabe-bub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OBarbas,
what's this about SSI down the tubes. Aren't they supposed to release "Silent Hunter 2" in about 4 days or so? Unless this new Sub Sim gets a huge following complete with hex editing jocks, it may as well be dead in the water . . .sorry, no pun intended. Well, I guess I'd better hunt down some news about SSI.

------------------
No human could have stacked books like that.

Posts: 118 | From: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
sinner6
Member # 5855

posted 11-20-2000 08:10 PM     Profile for sinner6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Firefly-
I would like to suggest EA's superbike 2001 for the following reasons:
1.superb visuals
2.truly amazing physics engine!(i am a motorcyclist, trust me!)
3.13 real-world tracks
4.all the riders and bikes from the real season-plenty of choices
5.completely scaleable difficulty...from a yellow line to show the correct path on the track, to auto-brakes,to flipping over if you try to acccelerate too hard from the line, to adjusting rider height on the seat and gear ratios,etc....
6.crashes like you have never seen!
7.the rider is more than an animated extention of the bike
8.force feedback done right
9. 12 views
10.surround sound
11. descent AI
12. 24 racers on the track
13. youve already raced too many car games not too experience 300 lbs, 160hp, and a raw aggressiveness cars cant touch

some things i should mention
1. its difficult to actually win (it can be done though)
2. needs some cpu horsepower for all the pretty picures. i have an athlon 600/128 megs/rage 128 (dont say it) and can run just a hair less than max detail at 800x600
3.only game i have that my girlfriend will play...now i have to take turns.

ps supebike 2000 is only 7 months older than the version i have and can be had for 19.95....

Posts: 37 | From: arlington, tx | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
OBarbas
Member # 6676

posted 11-20-2000 08:14 PM     Profile for OBarbas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Buchstabe: here is copy of a post that appeared at PG2 Club I belong to:

""Here is a post from a developer that worked for SSI on PG3D:

Bye-Bye SSI

The new owners of what used to be Mattel / TLC / Mindscape / SSI today closed the internal development department and laid off all the engineers, programmers, and designers. Me included. So hang on to your PG3SE's, they're the last PGs you'll probably ever see. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did making it.
Have fun
RWagenet
Suisu"""

As for Silent Hunter II, it was being developed by Aeon, but I found this post in September at the Club SSI Silent Hunter forum:

"""It seems that the development team for SH 2 (Aeon) were sacked and that there were questions if SSI/Mindscape would produce SH 2 after all. I found some news at subsim rewiev" which says that Ultimation (panzer commander) will take over the development using the Destroyer command graphics engine. Lets hope SH 2 comes through after all.""

The ultimation website is http://www.ultimation.com/SH2.htm where they only say that the game will come out "when it's finished."

A lot of turmoil.

Mattel paid mucho millions to acquire the Learning Company which in turn owned SSI. Mattel never made their money back (in fact they lost MILLIONS) and has now spun off the Learning Company to a venture capital outfit which, it now seems, pink-slipped the SSI crew.

There but for the grace of God go the flight sims.

[This message has been edited by OBarbas (edited 11-20-2000).]

Posts: 194 | From: New York, NY USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
FireFly
Member # 5496

posted 11-21-2000 06:00 AM     Profile for FireFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sinner6, thank you for the info. This sounds very interesting so I will take a look at Superbike.
Posts: 74 | From: Queens | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barron
Member # 325

posted 11-22-2000 04:25 PM     Profile for Barron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sinner6,

You are the first person with MC riding experience that I have heard say that SB2001 was realistic. Sure, all the reviewers said it was the cat's meow but lot's guys who are into MC racing sims say that it can't touch GP500 and that the physics model is not realistic. I finally gave the demo a go and I find that, with the right controller, that the physics model is pretty darn authentic to me. When I posted this, I generally got scolded for not knowing better. I'm a purist when it comes to sims and think I’m pretty particular about judging them. The only thing I don't like about SB2001 is the way you are warned when losing traction... feels like you're not. Seems as though the bike simply falls out from under you. Maybe I was spoiled by GP500 implementation of traction slip. Anyway, other than that, I think this sim is great so why all the negativity from the hardcore crowd??

Hell, I think I’m gonna get this sim anyway. They managed to keep Carl “Foggy” in it.

Barron

[This message has been edited by Barron (edited 11-22-2000).]

Posts: 392 | From: Greenville, North Carolina, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.