my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum   » Important news regarding this forum (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Important news regarding this forum
Editor
Member # 2239

posted 08-08-2000 12:13 PM     Profile for Editor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To All our Readers:

Things didn't work out with Empire they way we were told they would. We have an oft-stated policy regarding dedicated forums that we had to adhere.

This Friday, all topics will be moved to the Helo forum and the EECH section will be closed.

I can only imagine how annoyed you all must feel about this, but if you want to get mad at someone, please get mad at Empire not us.

Sincerely,

Ed Reddy
Managing Editor

Posts: 406 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 08-08-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Annoyed isn't the word for it. i had no idea that these forums were little more than an advertising revenue gimmick. I had suspected so by the continued presence of the gunship forum.
As for you "oft stated policy" I have never seen or, nor care too. Your policy puts the chicken ahead of the egg.
It also put combatsim.com's credability in the gutter.
1st those Gunship! reviews and previews, followed by that banner ad that flew above these forums for so long.
It is understandable that combatsim would want to have a site that produces revenues. This however should be soley based on it's abilities to draw hits and sell advertising, and not the manipulation of it's audience.
In the end IT IS combatsim's decision, and combatsim should take the credit or the critisism, not empire.

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Halo
Member # 4676

posted 08-08-2000 12:57 PM     Profile for Halo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrible...

Could we make two rules then:

1. Every topic regarding EECH in the Helo forum should start with EECH. That way we don't have to read stuff about other sims...

2. Anyone knows about another dedicated EECH forum? Maybe we should all go there and leave a message about this (once a week) in the Helo sim here.

Well, how about it?

[This message has been edited by Halo (edited 08-08-2000).]

Mr Bigglesworth
Member # 4870

posted 08-08-2000 01:00 PM     Profile for Mr Bigglesworth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go to SIMHQ.COM They have an EECH forum there and they don't charge companies for letting people talk about their games.
Posts: 189 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
PositiveG
Member # 469

posted 08-08-2000 01:06 PM     Profile for PositiveG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Four things.

1) It's Combatsim.com's and to be frank, they can do what they like, end of story. I'm not paying their bandwidth bill so I don't feel like it's OK to bitch about a FREE service.

2) Combatsim.com, why didn't you line things up with Empire BEFORE creating the forum? That would have been easier. Lesson learned?

3) Thanks Mr. B for the SimHQ tip.

4) These web conference rooms are great (this coming from an Net News bigot). Anyone can set one up, its easy. I may just have to do that.

Posts: 52 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 08-08-2000 01:14 PM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps a compromise can be struck...

Have a sub folder under HELOS as EECH or call it SPAWNBOB for all I care. But give us the ability to separate one sim from another even if its under a generic heading.

If you dont, youll give the readers no recourse other than to go to a more dedicated forum site. Twisting sim developers arms to pay the light bill only hurts everyone in the end. We are losing them by the bushel.

Its CSIM's loss, not Empire's or the readers.
Think about it.

AV8R

Hatch
Member # 3238

posted 08-08-2000 01:17 PM     Profile for Hatch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't say that I'm happy about it, but you are in business and offering this to us for free, so I do understand.

Thank you for allowing us a venue for discussing our passion, sims. Also, thanks for maintaining this site and its high quality.

Posts: 246 | From: Orlando, FL , USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Decca
Member # 2199

posted 08-08-2000 01:33 PM     Profile for Decca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Halo,
SimHQ is a very friendly board
and has a dedicated EECH forum.
It wont get pulled out from under your feet either...
Decca

Tony Piech
Member # 851

posted 08-08-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Tony Piech   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Editor/Moderator, I''m confused can you please tell us what your "oft-stated policy regarding dedicated forums that we had to adhere" is. I wasn't aware of this policy, can you plese tell us what it is? Thank you.

Posts: 59 | From: Panama City Beach, FL USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
HarryM
Member # 1395

posted 08-08-2000 02:12 PM     Profile for HarryM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Editor:

Why don't you just rename it and everyone will still know what it is?

Like:

"Enema Entrapped: Cockroaches vs. Holograms"

or

"That Certain unmentionable Helo-Sim forum"

Posts: 1130 | From: Salinas, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bozz
Member # 1156

posted 08-08-2000 03:04 PM     Profile for Bozz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys make me sick. Combatsim is a company and owes you nothing. Are you paying the service charges, bandwidth bills, or their staff? No! And now you all have the balls to call them scum acting in a strict business manner. Hey, it's their board and they can do what ever they want with it. Even close it down. What would you do if they closed combatsim because they were sick of all this self-righteous attitude? Didn't you stumps ever hear 'don't bite the hand that feeds you'?

Besides, Combatsim is not a fan site, it's a company. And as a company, they make decisions based on business practices you will find almost anywhere.

Here is what I can figure out from my searches in the Site Feedback. combatsim's title-specific forums are sponsored. We were all asking for an EECH forum many weeks ago and we got one. Before putting it up, Douglas said that the forums were sponsored by the vendor, in this case, Empire. If combatsim took down the EECH forum, then Empire must of reneged on the sponsorship. So blaming combatsim is wrong. Blame empire.

Now, if Admin could get in here and explain what happened, I would be happy to hear his side of the story.

Bozz

[This message has been edited by Bozz (edited 08-08-2000).]

Posts: 191 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Judge
Member # 1634

posted 08-08-2000 03:06 PM     Profile for Judge     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are Hasbro still paying for the EAW and Falcon 4.0 forums? If not and if you're consistent in the application of your policy, those two forums should be removed as well.
S.

Posts: 440 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 08-08-2000 03:19 PM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK we know its all about money, but you honestly dont expect us to believe that MP is still "supporting" Gunship, or that DI is still supporting DISH. This sim has the greatest potential to bring more traffic to the CS site, and hopefully money through Ad's, etc.

I wonder what will replace the EECH forum...a Luftwaffe Commander forum perhaps?

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redneck
Member # 2856

posted 08-08-2000 03:30 PM     Profile for Redneck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I never!!

Now I know where all the upbeat reports of EECH came from.

There should be a policy posted as to how this web site is run so its readers can take it with a grain of salt.

Simhq you say....I'm out of here.

Posts: 99 | From: Missouri | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kensho
Member # 2187

posted 08-08-2000 06:44 PM     Profile for Kensho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

What's the oft-stated policy or, more specifically, where is it? That a title-specific forum be sponsored by...? Whom? An officer of a company? An employee? A stock-holder, perchance?

- Kensho

[This message has been edited by Kensho (edited 08-08-2000).]

Posts: 9 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Greggy_D
Member # 692

posted 08-08-2000 07:09 PM     Profile for Greggy_D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know how to take this.....either:

1. Combatsim charges for dedicated forums

OR

2. Empire does not allow Combatsim to name a forum after EECH

If it's situation #1, that's absolute BS on Combatsim's part.

If it's situation #2, then screw you Empire, that's twice you ass rammed me. My USB CH Combatstick STILL doesn't work in your sim. I have ZERO hours (let alone minutes) of flight time.

------------------
Greggy D.

Posts: 199 | From: Livonia, MI, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
R-a-t-t-l-e-r
Member # 4051

posted 08-08-2000 09:00 PM     Profile for R-a-t-t-l-e-r   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's covering all the bases!

------------------
Rick "Rattler" Carlson
FlightGear
If you don't have the gear, why bother!

Posts: 107 | From: Austin,Texas | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 08-08-2000 09:11 PM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's true that SIMHQ.com has a great site and I'm sure they'd like to keep the forum flamer/whiner-free, so all you kids that feel the need to cry, please do it here and don't take it to SIMHQ.
Thanks

------------------
AGILE, MOBILE, HOSTILE

Posts: 195 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
asdfadsf
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 09:16 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sigh. i wonder if there will ever be a time when someone can complain without being called a crybaby. damn those people who complain about microsoft being a monopoly, theyre just cry babies. oh yeah, and so are those people who dont like bad cars
IP: Logged
Bozz
Member # 1156

posted 08-08-2000 10:39 PM     Profile for Bozz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well good morning to you - the person who likes to hide behind the anonymous name. I don't know what is worse, guys who get on and complain about the complainers or the chickens who hide behind unregistered accounts.

If you guys want, check out the Site Feedback. By the way Douglas described the situation, there is light at the end of the EECH forum (yay!).

As for the rest of you who like to do nothing but sit back, and join the fight by throwing in comments from the sidelines, shut up and appreciate what this site does for us. Bring us all together under one roof to discuss our love for flight simulators. I think apologies are in order.

Bozz

coward
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 10:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just because someone does not register doesn't make them a coward. I'm sorry but, Sniper69, or Spike_55th isn't anymore couragous than someone chosing not to register. This is a forum in cyberspace....there is no cowardice here.

Anyone can register a name..big deal. It doesnt hide the fact that you can put any name down you wish.

IP: Logged
Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 08-08-2000 10:55 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ROFL bozz, that's the stupidest most idiotic comment i've ever seen. He's a coward because he posted anonymously? ROFL, you think my real name is Swampthing? Any clue how old I am? What I do for a living? No? Guess i'm posting pretty anonymously then aren't I? Combatsims policy is crap. And we've seen this policy rear it's head before but this by far is the worst offense. Removing a forum because empire chose not to buy advertising space is just crap. Later combatsim. Not like there was anything good here but the forums anyhow. Besides i've long questioned whether or not their reviews worked on the same principle as their board forums.
Cuervo
Member # 1113

posted 08-09-2000 01:39 AM     Profile for Cuervo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Owes nothing? Without us there wouldn't be a combatsim.com. So I think they owe us a ton!

quote:
Originally posted by Bozz:
You guys make me sick. Combatsim is a company and owes you nothing. Are you paying the service charges, bandwidth bills, or their staff? No! And now you all have the balls to call them scum acting in a strict business manner. Hey, it's their board and they can do what ever they want with it. Even close it down. What would you do if they closed combatsim because they were sick of all this self-righteous attitude? Didn't you stumps ever hear 'don't bite the hand that feeds you'?

Besides, Combatsim is not a fan site, it's a company. And as a company, they make decisions based on business practices you will find almost anywhere.

Here is what I can figure out from my searches in the Site Feedback. combatsim's title-specific forums are sponsored. We were all asking for an EECH forum many weeks ago and we got one. Before putting it up, Douglas said that the forums were sponsored by the vendor, in this case, Empire. If combatsim took down the EECH forum, then Empire must of reneged on the sponsorship. So blaming combatsim is wrong. Blame empire.

Now, if Admin could get in here and explain what happened, I would be happy to hear his side of the story.

Bozz

[This message has been edited by Bozz (edited 08-08-2000).]

------------------
I'd clear your six, but I'm having a little trouble of my own right now...

Howz
Member # 2817

posted 08-09-2000 03:29 AM     Profile for Howz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, this is all a bit rubbish. Empire, eh? Does this mean that we can expect the disappearance of the Mig Alley forum too?

Posts: 64 | From: My house | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Syndrome
Member # 5266

posted 08-09-2000 06:04 AM     Profile for Syndrome   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this forum in any way linked to radio 2UE. Sorry..... Australian joke.
Posts: 1 | From: Melbourne, Vic, Oz | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
AndyC
Member # 3677

posted 08-09-2000 06:11 PM     Profile for AndyC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuervo:
Owes nothing? Without us there wouldn't be a combatsim.com. So I think they owe us a ton!

That pretty much says it all. Combatsim really need to think about reviewing thier policy. SimHQ was it?

Posts: 64 | From: Austria | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Beltfed
Member # 3509

posted 08-09-2000 07:29 PM     Profile for Beltfed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sheesh.

Gentlemen and near approximates,

What's with the amount of hostility here? No one is expected to be happy with the announcement made here but the sheer nastiness of some of the posters is really somewhat outta line. Please register your discontent civilly and leave the extraneous stuff outta the AO. Yes it sucks that this folder may have to be consolidated with another but the finger pointing is uncalled for.

Now everybody step away from their keyboards and keep their hands where I can see them and have a good day!

------------------
Tim "Beltfed" Harrison
NCOIC, 718th TFW
Skyscrapers, www.718tfw.com

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 08-09-2000).]

Skater
Member # 3257

posted 08-10-2000 09:49 AM     Profile for Skater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know who this nice guy is pretending to be Beltfed...

The Beltfed I know is a foul-mouthed dirt-eater... err.. Army puke, that calls me Navy Bitch at every 718th TFW NetMeet.

Geez Beltfat, that new girlie of yours is sure doing a mindscrew on ya! So when ya going to Ikea to pick out your new furniture!

-Skater

Posts: 78 | From: NYC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 08-10-2000 02:10 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If they don't get money from this then there is no more csim.

P.S. Sim hq's forums sucked the last time i checked. The EAW forum there has 3 posts, ick. Compared to tens of thousands here 3 posts is sad. And how do you know they don't use the exact same methods as csim?

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 08-10-2000 02:35 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See, maybe SIMHQ does the same thing and just doesn't tell the public.

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 08-10-2000 03:20 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Simhq does not operate like Combatsim. the issue here is not advertising but that existence of dedicated forums is dependant upon advertising revenue from the publishers.

Also there is a distrubing fact the Combatsim gave Gunship a glowing review of Gunship while every single other review of it has been accurate for what it is.
What made this worse was at the same time as the review Combatsim was full of banner advertisemen's for Gunship.

Simhq is smaller and the new Forums have just been started but really it doesnt matter if you post in one place or another to the reader to the site it does.
The point is that the Simhg dedicated forums will not be taken down if the devleoper/publisher doesnt advertise with them. The new forums at simhq are not there as a result of advertisement revneue but to increase the content of Simhq.

Mantra
Member # 6041

posted 08-10-2000 03:21 PM     Profile for Mantra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think SimHQ just put up the EAW forum yesterday, didn't they?

Outlaw
Member # 1733

posted 08-10-2000 04:15 PM     Profile for Outlaw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoops wrong forum...

[This message has been edited by Outlaw (edited 08-10-2000).]

Posts: 212 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 08-10-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You hit that nail right on the head SB, after I read Csim's review of Gunship...and finished scratching my head saying "what the Hell?", it became clear that any reviews done by Csim could in fact be advertisments, and would have to be viewed with a large grain of salt.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
goanna
Member # 1639

posted 08-10-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for goanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Is this forum in any way linked to radio 2UE. Sorry..... Australian joke."

You have hit the nail on the head there mate...

This is J. Laws, thankyou, and good day..

Posts: 427 | From: QLD Australia | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Beltfed
Member # 3509

posted 08-10-2000 08:32 PM     Profile for Beltfed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sheesh! What is that smell? Smells like old dead shellfish! Now Special Ed, here's the 411, the intel, the straight skinny. With this crew I don't usually have to repeat myself and speak loudly and slowly like people do to you. When you someday emerge into the real world from that special little place known as "My Parent's House" ya might learn that there are times when one should temper ones remarks for greater effect. Again as a breech loading, harbor queen you might not be used to that august treatment. But we can only hope that the medication takes. Yer ever lovin' NCOIC. BTW what are you posting here for? I don't recall squeezing yer head. Yer Dismissed, Navy Bean

quote:
Originally posted by Skater:
I don't know who this nice guy is pretending to be Beltfed...

The Beltfed I know is a foul-mouthed dirt-eater... err.. Army puke, that calls me Navy Bitch at every 718th TFW NetMeet.

Geez Beltfat, that new girlie of yours is sure doing a mindscrew on ya! So when ya going to Ikea to pick out your new furniture!

-Skater

------------------
Tim "Beltfed" Harrison
NCOIC, 718th TFW
Skyscrapers, www.718tfw.com

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 08-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 08-10-2000).]

Bozz
Member # 1156

posted 08-11-2000 10:23 AM     Profile for Bozz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
combatsim's review of Gunship was enlightening? Are you sure you read part 2 Spawnbob?

quote:
Unlike Falcon 4.0, a previous victim of Hasbro's cost cutting, there is unlikely to be the support for trying to fix Gunship! in the user community that has arisen for Falcon 4.0. My advice is to wait three months until Gunship! finds its way into the bargain bins. Pick it up cheap and have a ball.

I call that a slap in the face personally, but what do I know. I'm only a guy who knows nothing about military hardware

Fact is, just one of combatsim's forums has more posts daily than the entire simhq site. Personally, I'm going to stick around for a while unless combatsim pisses me off, then I'll grip about it, tell them I'm never coming back, call them bad names on the usenet, then come back quitely after a few weeks hoping no one notices how stupid I sounded back then.

But then again, what do I know?

Bozz

Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 08-11-2000 11:59 AM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm, something tells me that review has been editied since it's first incaration. As when it first appeared it was glowing. hehe maybe im just crazy but now the Gunship banners have gone , you know the rest.
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 08-11-2000 12:17 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this of course could be my imagination. Also i wont hide and come back later. If CSIM keep up EECH forum then i will post there, if they dont i wont post in the Helos section.
People might not think it's important but if the 'Preimier ' sim site cant have a dedicated forum, what does this say to people consirdering buying EECH.

Skater
Member # 3257

posted 08-11-2000 01:13 PM     Profile for Skater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beltfed:
Sheesh! What is that smell? Smells like old dead shellfish! Now Special Ed, here's the 411, the intel, the straight skinny. With this crew I don't usually have to repeat myself and speak loudly and slowly like people do to you. When you someday emerge into the real world from that special little place known as "My Parent's House" ya might learn that there are times when one should temper ones remarks for greater effect. Again as a breech loading, harbor queen you might not be used to that august treatment. But we can only hope that the medication takes. Yer ever lovin' NCOIC. BTW what are you posting here for? I don't recall squeezing yer head. Yer Dismissed, Navy Bean

Now THAT'S the Beltfed I know! Heheheheheh!

Just making sure all was still right in the world.

BTW, bite me Dirt Damsel!

-Skater

Posts: 78 | From: NYC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.