Google
Web
This Site

News Feeds

This is our archive forum. It contains posts from 1999 to 2003. If you prefer, you may participate in our current COMBATSIM.COM Forum

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM ARCHIVE FORUM   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Jane's F/A-18   » Custom Keyboard

Author Topic: Custom Keyboard
VaCreeper
Member # 4383

posted 05-01-2000 10:09 AM     Profile for VaCreeper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there any kind of tutorial that could help me map my new CH PRO Throttle? I had just gotten used to the Combatstick when I ordered the throttle and now everything is screwed up! I've tried resetting the keyboard but I'm afraid that without some sort of guidance I'm just going to make it worse. Really bummed because I was really looking forward to being able to set the controls to the configuratin I wanted.
Please help!

Thanx
Creeper

[This message has been edited by VaCreeper (edited 05-01-2000).]

Posts: 21 | From: Potomac Falls, Va. USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 05-01-2000 10:21 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1st, don't worry, the default keyboard settings file cannot be erased in the game's keymapping interface. only your custom keyboard layout can be changed, saved etc.

With a prothrottle + combatstick, u now cannot map the keys onto your joystick using the in game key mapping intereface anymore. That works only for non-programmable sticks, like your F-16 Combatstick when it was a stand alone.

Now you have to first load a template into your joystick using CH Speedkeys programming utility. Any template will do for a start and you can then refer to your game key commands ref chart and remap the keys u want onto your joystick /prothrottle using the CH Speedkeys utility (u have to learn how to use this - quite simple). then save the template as say F18keys or whatever.

note, u can still have a custom keyboard mapped in the game interface to help u get the best combo of keys into your joystick. For example, say in the default game key map the HUD view is Shift F1. And u don't want to have to program Shift + F1 into your joystick. Then u can simply change the game key map to have F1 = HUD and save as custom keyboard. Then program your stick with F1 for HUD and use the custom keyboard in the game with your joystick.

note that the template u use should have at least one button left as A1 or B1 etc in Speedkeys. So that during joystick centering/calibration in windows, pressing that key will be like pressing ENT and the calibration will acknowledge your input. Otherwise, what it reads is really some other key pressed on the keyboard when u press your joystick button that mapped to that key.

i think COmbat Sim Joystick section has some F-18 templates for download for a start. Then u can modify them.

I myself am using a CH Fighterstick, no prothrottle..

cheers and Good Luck..

MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 05-01-2000 10:42 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
forgot to add..
Speedkeys isn't exactly intuitive. its not elaborate and flexible but thats why its st forward once u know it.

MAcros is the main thing. Use macros and type in the key u want for the joystick button.

Buttons A1, B1 etc are kind of like the default that will still actitvate something in the game. eg, the trigger is normally left as A1 button - not macro programmed. In the game, u will find that the trigger fires the cannon as it should, even without it having been programmed.

u need to save your new template, and download it into the joystick in speedkeys b4 it'll work.

Cheers

Ferret
Member # 3914

posted 05-02-2000 09:17 PM     Profile for Ferret   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also, once you have Speedkeys set up, if you want to keep all your old Combatstick settings, make sure you set your Joystick buttons to the default DirectX buttons (in other words, A1, B1, A2, B2, X1, X2 and POV switches rather than keypress or macros). That way, the Pro Throttle will just send DirectX button presses like before from the Combatstick. There aren't enough DirectX buttons to assign all the ProThrottle buttons and Hat's to, but I'm sure you'll figure something out for all those buttons

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.