my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Flanker 2.0   » Too Hard?

Author Topic: Too Hard?
King Kobra
Member # 9095

posted 04-01-2001 06:19 AM     Profile for King Kobra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love aircraft and I'm looking to buy a flight sim on my nice new computer, Flanker 2.0. The problem is I've heard it's a very difficult game, even for experts! Im 15 and I can play Comanche vs. Hokum no bother, in fact I've almost finished all 3 campaigns. Would Flanker 2.0 be suitable? Is it really as hard as everyone says? Comanche Hokum was supposed to difficult to grasp but I picked it up in a few hours. (And yes the settings were on realistic)
Thanks for listening.

PS does the Flanker in the game carry the R-77/AA-12?

Posts: 4 | From: Argyll, Scotland, UK | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Guz
Member # 912

posted 04-01-2001 08:22 AM     Profile for Guz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flanker 2 is a great sim. It has a rather steep learning curve, but I believe you'll find it worth the effort. You will need to get used to "Russian Style" avionics. I enjoyed the different "feel" from Western aircraft. The R-77 is available. Quite deadly I might say. Good luck & have fun.

Guz

Posts: 43 | From: Frisco, Texas | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
MikePollux
Member # 9078

posted 04-01-2001 01:50 PM     Profile for MikePollux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King Kobra,

it is challenging, yes. I play it since a year and I'm still by no means an expert now. I think, the close quarter dogfight AI is the best in business. The good news is you can easily set up a 1 vs 1 versus opponents of increasing difficulty. Also with 2.5 you can scale down the previously deadly missiles to easy-medium-hard settings.
So, yeah, a steep learning curve, but it's scalable.
I would go for it just for the flying alone. F2 has the best feeling of being in the air of all sims ! And with 2.5 you get a Mig-29, air to air refueling, landings on a moving carrier and more.
BTW, I play it completely in Russian, stick and throttle and Masterpilot have Russian labels and I speak the Wingmen commands in Russian using Game Commander. Great fun !

Pollux

Posts: 6 | From: Karlsruhe, Germany | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
King Kobra
Member # 9095

posted 04-02-2001 01:04 PM     Profile for King Kobra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. I've ordered it today, It might not run on my current machine (my new will be here in a week or so, it's a K-7 1200 and GForce 2 Ultra combo!! ) but what the hell.
Im looking forward to it, but my exams are in a few weeks! lol

Posts: 4 | From: Argyll, Scotland, UK | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 04-02-2001 02:26 PM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm...

With that system, you should have a GOOD time!

Have fun,

------------------
-=Spectre=-
[email protected]

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.