my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Flanker 2.0   » Weapons Delivery Questions

Author Topic: Weapons Delivery Questions
Scoob_SBM
Member # 1065

posted 11-21-1999 12:50 PM     Profile for Scoob_SBM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After reading, and re-reading the A/A sections of the manual, I have come to the conclusion that the manual is poor at best. It hardly explains the nuances of the fire control computer. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Several missiles use an IR guidance system, such as the R-27T, R-27TE, R-73. This means they should be able to be fired w/o using a doppler radar lock. They should be able to be fired using the EOS or Longitudinal Missile Aiming modes.

I have tried the Close Combat training mission, and no matter which delivery method I use, the enemy planes take evasive action, and dump chaff when I fire a missile. The enemy plane should not be able to detect a launch of an IR-only missile, locked on by longitudinal methods / EOS methods.

I'm also hoping someone can instruct me on the correct method of using the EOS. The manual is poor in explaining exactly what happens, (fire-control-computer-wise) after selecting targets. This is the order in which I was aquiring targets, (trying to use a stealth approach).

- Select BVR, select IR missile
- Turn on EOS
- Look for blips on HUD, the slew reticle over blip, and press TAB
** The HUD now gives a T on the left, (for Thermal imaging) **
- Press TAB again, and the computer is in Attack mode.
- In weapons range, fire the IR-guided weapon.

** here's where the problems start **

If I break the lock, the weapon seems to miss. This I don't understand. Why would an IR-guided weapon need an EOS lock? The left side of the HUD has a T there, so it is using thermal, right? P means pulse, or doppler radar, right? But if I keep the EOS attack mode on, the weapon hits.

2nd question...

If I select the Helmet Mode, I seem to have a choice between P (doppler radar) and T (EOS radar). I assume that this would choose between getting a radar lock, and an EOS lock, on the target. When I slew the aiming reticle over the press TAB, the object is locked up. It gets a bit confusing here, because does it use the appropriate lock for the appropriate weapon? I'm not sure it matters what weapon you have selected, or what mode (P or T) you have selected.

The point is, the enemy plane seems to be able to detect my lock, and subsequent firing of an IR-guided missile, despite me not using Doppler radar. This is what I was trying...

- Choosing Helmet Mode, selecting IR-guided missile
- Selecting EOS radar, (a T shows up, and there's no P on the HUD)
- Slewing the cursor over the target, and pressing TAB
- Firing the missile

The target plane then goes defensive, and dumps chaff. How does it detect my lock & launch?

Scoob
The Screamin' Blue Messiahs

Posts: 577 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.