my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Flanker 2.0   » HUD conversion

Author Topic: HUD conversion
Scorpion57
Member # 1034

posted 11-18-1999 03:14 PM     Profile for Scorpion57   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am rather pleased with the program but one thing i find disturbing is that all speeds are in KPH and not MPH, I am so use to the american or english system that its hars for me to judge when i am at a required speed for landing or given situation in a dogfight. Is their a patch that can take care of this?
Posts: 1 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
fodder
Member # 636

posted 11-18-1999 03:16 PM     Profile for fodder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In a word: nope.

KPH is fine once you get used to it.

-Fodder out

MK
Member # 906

posted 11-18-1999 03:31 PM     Profile for MK     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you're in the correct landing mode (NOC) use the reference speed above your current speed to land at the correct speed. I it's calculated based upon how heavy you are.

Martin

Lucky
Member # 61

posted 11-18-1999 04:11 PM     Profile for Lucky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also, divide KPH in half to get approx MPH.
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 11-18-1999 08:45 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
5 MPH=8 KMPH, 60 MPH=100 KMPH, 600 MPH=1000KMPH.
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Eugene
unregistered

posted 11-19-1999 01:40 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Hunedog,

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Your figures lead to the conclusion that 1 mile = 1.6 km. This is correct for "land" miles.
However, in aviation speed is normally measured in NAUTICAL miles per hour, i.e. knots, and as far as I remember 1 nautical mile = 1852 m, i.e. 1.852 km.

Regards,
Eugene

IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 11-19-1999 07:11 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

KPH and not MPH

5 MPH=8 KMPH, 60 MPH=100 KMPH, 600 MPH=1000KMPH.

1 mile = 1.6 km. This is correct for "land" miles.

However, nautical mile = 1852 m, i.e. 1.852 km.

Hahaha --- reminds me of the blackboard back in school days --- and people wonder why we need a standardized metric system in the world... :-)

Look at Flanker as an tutor in that regard and take the pain (think of your math teacher :-)!

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG2_FireCat!
Member # 225

posted 11-19-1999 08:24 PM     Profile for JG2_FireCat!   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila:

I agree. Although I'm American, I'm tired of all the confusion, and always having to convert stuff back and forth.

I think we just need to bite the bullet, change to metric and get it over with.

Salut!

JG2"FireCat!"

Posts: 172 | From: Venice Beach, California | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
NavySeal
unregistered

posted 11-19-1999 08:29 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This sort of confusion led to the crash of the Mars probe recently. I guess we have to adept to a global standard. I think metric is the most logical.

NavySeal out.

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.