my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Flanker 2.0   » External View - Player To Target

Author Topic: External View - Player To Target
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 11-18-1999 02:38 PM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Help me out here, folks!

The external player to target view...how do I get it to 'work'? When I use Shift-F8, nothing happens. Is there some mode that I have to be in for this function to work?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Posts: 595 | From: St Louis, Mo | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
fodder
Member # 636

posted 11-18-1999 03:15 PM     Profile for fodder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't get it to work either Andy.

Try F5, this only works when within visible range as far as I can tell... But still helps when your in deep doo-doo.

Check six!

-Fodder out

nelson72
Member # 982

posted 11-19-1999 09:55 PM     Profile for nelson72   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the f8 is whenever you locked into a ship or ground target(?).
my question in this subject is if there's anyway i can change the default value of f2 and f5 key so that the views will be farther than currently set. i know i can change the distance by pressing slash and star but it resets itself whenever i press another button.

thanks

Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 11-20-1999 06:23 AM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

I've found a substitute using the F5 key in conjunction with the zoom out (/) and arrow keys on the keypad.

I select F5 to get my a/c. Then I zoom out myself using the / keypad key...this gives me a wider field of view.

Then I use the arrow keys on the keypad (2,4,6,8) to change the perspective from my a/c to the target. Remember - in F5, the view will not 'follow the target', so you must do this yourself. I'm learning to do this by using the appropriate arrow key to change my point of view relative to my jet.

It may not be too sophisticated but it gets the job done.

Andy

Attila
Member # 853

posted 11-20-1999 07:37 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy, based on Flanker 1.5 experience: while in F5 I pressed F9 to track any visible aircraft.

I'm not sure it applies to Flanker 2 though... I'm still waiting (and the demo is just 18% downloaded... :-).

Also, I have some ideas about how to integrate the virtual cockpit view with an outside view for better SA (inspired by your articles "Its a matter of perspective" over at SimHQ), which I may come back to later... but got to try out F2 first.

[This message has been edited by Attila (edited 11-20-1999).]

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 11-20-1999 08:39 AM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attila

Good luck with the demo. Hope you like it. I'm having fun with the sim...although I need a TNT card. My V3 really messes up the color.

Please press on with your ideas on views. If you would like to put something down on paper, give me a yell...I'll find a place for it!!

Andy

Attila
Member # 853

posted 11-20-1999 09:49 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
> Good luck with the demo. Hope you like it.

I think I will. I've been waiting for Flanker 2 since v1.5! My copy should be in the mail by now, but I just had to alleviate some tension by downloading the demo... (when my slow download reaches 100%, that is --- add that BT throws me off the line every two hours, uhg! :-)

The first thing I will critically test and try in F2 is the virtual cockpit and player-to-target views UI and effectiveness. With Su27 1.5 as my most used sim, there's a few things I expect and equally many I wish for. I've posted a few ideas already in the "Ctrl+F1..." thread (based on RanRodee's idea). I'll comment more later...

> I'm having fun with the sim...although I need a TNT card. My V3 really messes up the color.

Hehe --- you're talking --- I've still have an old Matrox Mystique! Will probably upgrade though. I was able to put an AMD K6-III 400 in my old Asus TX97-XE, so now I'm looking for a PCI upgrade (Savage4, anyone?).

On the other hand, a few days with F2 might be a good Athlon+TNT2 incentive... :-)

> Please press on with your ideas on views.

Thanks for your encouragement! I have a draft on my hard drive, I'll try to finish it soon...

PS. For UK residents interested in the demo: ftp://ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/demos/

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.