my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Flanker 2.0   » Those with Voodoo Problems in Flanker2

Author Topic: Those with Voodoo Problems in Flanker2
Brandor
Member # 2

posted 10-29-1999 07:38 PM     Profile for Brandor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After speaking with the Executive Producers at SSI, they have asked me to post a message for those who are experiencing problems with their Voodoo3 Video cards.

If you are, here are some tips:
a) Try running Flanker with your desktop at 1024x768 @ 16Bit color
b) Ensure you have downloaded the correct drivers for your correct DX version. There are 2 different new Voodoo3 drivers released yesterday. One is for DX6, the other is for DX7.
c) If you are still experiencing problems, install the previous version of V3 drivers until they can quickly get a patch out (coming real soon).

If you have tried all three steps above, please reply to this message here with your system specs including:
a) Windows version
b) Video Card Type V3 2000, V3 3000 etc
c) DX Versions (taken from DXinfo.exe)
d) Video card drivers versions (from properties)

Thanks
Brandor

Stormin'
Member # 105

posted 10-29-1999 08:10 PM     Profile for Stormin'     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flanker Fans,

As Brandor has mentioned above, we are aware that some of you are experiencing problems with Flanker 2.0 using Voodoo 3 cards. We are trying to duplicate the problem here and need information. Please post details on your problems and include your system information.

3DFx released a new set of drivers this week for V3 cards with sets for both DirectX 6 and DirectX 7. It could be that the new drivers are the problem so we need to know what your experience is with each of the possible configurations.

Also, some people have had success by skipping the opening intro cinematic and running Flanker 2.0 directly by removing or renaming the "Intro" subdirectory in located in the Flanker 2.0 home directory. The intro uses different video settings to run the Bink files that make up the intro sequences. The switching of video modes may be the problem here. Make sure you are also running Flanker with your desktop set to no more than 1024 x768 and 16 bit color.

Please post your findings and whatever information you can provide here or send e-mail to [email protected]

We want to solve this problem but we need your help as we still have not been able to duplicate it here with our Voodoo 3 systems.

We appreciate your patience.

Best Wishes,

Carl

------------------
Carl C. Norman
Exective Producer
Combat Simulations Group
Mattel Interactive/SSI

Posts: 355 | From: San Rafael, CA USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
jzydor
Member # 758

posted 10-29-1999 08:24 PM     Profile for jzydor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system;
P3 450
256mb PC100 ram
V3 3000 running the newest dx7 drivers(d/l from 3dfx site & installed today)
Diamond mx 300 Sound card
Windows98 SE
Desktop set to 1024x768 16 bit

What fixed the main menu graphics problem (only a 2" square visible in the top left corner of the game screen) was installing the V3 drivers from the original cd that came with the vid card. Apparently it is a V3 driver problem.

[This message has been edited by jzydor (edited 10-29-1999).]

Posts: 17 | From: Bayshore, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
ILL-DRE
Member # 514

posted 10-29-1999 08:48 PM     Profile for ILL-DRE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Carl,

My findings are as follows. and the solution(s) are also as follow.
CAUSE:
cause is the combination of these three from what i've seen.

1) V3 (in my case V3 3000)

2) Intel Pentium 3 (in my case P3 500)
and
3) The latest V3 drivers from 3dfx (i've tried three of the latest the DX6.1 one when i installed dx 6 and the DX7 one after i installed dx7)

Tempory Solution (until you get the fix out):

1) Install older versions of V3 drivers the ones from the V3 cd seems to work.

2) replace the P3 with something else (Celeron, P2, or AMD Chip)

3) replace V3 with another type of card

Observations:
These are observations of the problem when not working.

The relationship revolves around the latest V3 drivers and their use of the P3 extra instructions when the load screen is invoked. This causes the user to see only a small portion of the graphics once the loading is done. It also forces the user to fish for buttons that are not drawn.

But here is a hint for you also. If you can find the Editor button, which seems to create a new background. you can return to the main screen (another repaint) and all is well from then on until you quit Flanker 2.0 and try to load again.

I feel that the Combination of the three factors above is causing the problem. If you remove any of the above there is no problem with the small portion of the load screen.

Please remember that this is only for one specific problem of only having only a portion of the drawn screen during and after loading Flanker 2.0.

I have a Screen shot of the problem if you would like to see it.

I will also offer my assistance should you need to discuss this further.

My email address is [email protected] i will give you my telephone number via email if you request.

good luck

ILL-DRE

Flanker 2.0 owner 2 times over

------------------
Chaff and Flares don't stop Guns. Check Six!

[This message has been edited by ILL-DRE (edited 10-29-1999).]

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
spencer
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 11:24 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am having the same problem: a small chunk of the main menu--in the upper right hand corner--is all that shows up; the rest is a light blue background.

My system:
P3 550
256 100 ms Ram
V3 2000 (DX 6.1 drivers)
SB live (most recent drivers)
W98

IP: Logged
Jon Hancock
unregistered

posted 10-30-1999 08:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Similar results as above on my system with overclocked V3 2000; reduced color depth to 16 bit, then loaded "minimum" ini, reduced screen res to 1024X768, then it was up and running. My drivers are NOT the absolute most recent, but are K7 optimized drivers from a just released motherboard which included full Voodoo3 drivers and OpenGL ICD. Then, resoultion and grahpics settings could be manually updated to take advanatage of the 600 MHz Athlon. I suppose it might be even better with a 32 bit card like the G400; maybe next month!!
For now, at 1024X768 it's very smooth and with most of the detail settings max'd out, looks and feels wonderful. The Training interface is very clever, and there's a lot of information packed in there that will hopefully make it intersting and easier for newcomers to get into this product. For this to be a success, it's got to grow beyond those of us that supported 1 and 1.5. For just spending a few hours with it (now my daughter's doing home work on the system, cause her PC is in the middle of brain surgery), I'm impressed and filled with anticipation.

Bulldog
Member # 370

posted 10-31-1999 12:46 AM     Profile for Bulldog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system:
PII 333
128 MB RAM
V3 3000 @ 166MHz
Diamond MX 300 snd card

I deleted "intro" folder and changed my desktop to 1024x768 16 bit and finally I was able to get into the main menu. Played a few instant action missions and training missions before the game crashed back to desktop in mid-flight.

Bulldog

Posts: 120 | From: San Jose, CA, US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lav
Member # 250

posted 11-06-1999 01:16 AM     Profile for Lav   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, my system is a PII-266 with a Diamond Voodoo 2 card. I had the same problem with the game going back to the desktop after the intro movies. Moved the 'Intro' directory to where Flanker couldn't find it, and it started up fine. But when I went into the options menu to deselect 'Primary Display Driver', presumably to get it to use my V2 card, my screen has gone blank. The music still plays, and I assume the game is still running, just with a blank screen. I quit the game and restarted, and it starts up with the initial banner (still picture) screen and music, but then goes blank again when it tries to show the main menu. Obviously I can't set it back to Primary Display Driver while the screen is blank, and I'd sure like to be able to use my 3D card. What's odd is that it works fine on my other system, an AMD K6-2 350 with a Guillemot Voodoo2 card. Is there anything I can do short of the Uninstall/Re-install routine?

Thanks,
Lav

------------------

Posts: 266 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
strike
unregistered

posted 11-06-1999 02:37 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
couldnt get flanker 2 to recognise ch f16 combatstick usb, so it goes back,pretty short list of stick configs in game too, imho.
Jogn
Member # 777

posted 11-06-1999 02:41 AM     Profile for Jogn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone have the same problem with the 3d blaster 12meg voodoo 2.
Pauldoe
Member # 52

posted 11-06-1999 12:45 PM     Profile for Pauldoe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Il-Dre's fixes work well for my resolution/3dfx problems (crashes/blue corner screen thingie). Thanx !
Posts: 45 | From: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-06-1999 05:43 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks ILL-DRE. I guess I had an especially tough week. Once rested, and after installing the older Voodoo3 drivers you reference (v3w9x-figs-oem_1.02.11) over DirectX7 all is AOK. I can certainly live with 16 bit desktop color and the lack of an intro movie.
All forgiven SSI (Carl), this is one cleanly coded sim. Well done!!
P3 450
Win98SE
DirectX7
Voodoo3 3k
VD3 drivers cited above
MX-300 sound

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stormin'
Member # 105

posted 11-06-1999 08:50 PM     Profile for Stormin'     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

Are you sure that the intro files and the game will not run together now that you are using 16 bit and the older drivers?

In most cases 16 bit lets you run the cinematic sequences and the sim.

Carl

------------------
Carl C. Norman
Exective Producer
Combat Simulations Group
Mattel Interactive/SSI

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-07-1999 04:24 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're right Carl, setting 16-bit color allows the Intro movies. I was too busy learning/flying Flanker 2 to get right back to you! :-) The only fix needed was the older Voodoo3 drivers.
Thanks again.

Stormin'
Member # 105

posted 11-07-1999 04:36 PM     Profile for Stormin'     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

Glad you have it up and running. I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Carl

------------------
Carl C. Norman
Exective Producer
Combat Simulations Group
Mattel Interactive/SSI

Popeye
Member # 988

posted 11-15-1999 04:56 AM     Profile for Popeye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Brandor & combatsim_ssi, I just purchased Flanker 2.0 and am having the problem with the 2" square patch in the upper left corner of my screen. I have been sorting through the history of this problem on this forum, but have not been quite able to see the solution. I have a P III 500, Voodoo3 3000 using version 4.1101.1204 3dfx interactive drivers released 10/27/99. My desktop is set to 1024x768. I am running DX6 (I believe). I am not sure how to determine that with certainty. I could not find DXinfo.exe on my system. I have been able to move the mouse around in the light blue area of the screen and sometimes can get the sim going, but would rather be able to work it the way it was designed. Can you give me a hand with this?

[This message has been edited by Popeye (edited 11-15-1999).]

Posts: 33 | From: North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 11-15-1999 09:57 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys running V3's should try running at least the July drivers, as that's when they improved the image quality and gave you a high quality option in display prpperties.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 11-15-1999 11:15 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system:

Cleron 366, 128 Mb RAM, Voodoo3 2000 PCI; 3Dfx drivers are original, from CD; DirectX 7.0.

Flanker 2 installed the first time without a problem. It looked good and ran fast. But it crashed as soon as I exited a mission.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried again with the same result.

I ran scan disk and defragged before installation.

I experienced three more crashes before removing Flanker from my hard drive and putting the CD back in the box.

From the looks of things, i'm not alone.

Thanks for your attention.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
rrevved
unregistered

posted 11-16-1999 01:06 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>I experienced three more crashes before
>removing Flanker from my hard drive and
>putting the CD back in the box.
>
>From the looks of things, i'm not alone.

Casey, there are several problems being reported, but I haven't heard of many crash problems. Did you end -all- background tasks except systray and explorer prior to running Flanker2.0?

Is your system overclocked? If so, you may want to remove the cover and see if you had a heat problem.

If your desktop is not 16 bit, you may want to change it to 16 bit and try again.

Casey
Member # 873

posted 11-16-1999 09:39 AM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
rrevved:

In response, my Celeron 366 is factory stock, no overclocking. My desktop is set to 16 bit color and I always close all programs except explorer and systray before installing or running any sim.

Uh oh, maybe I am alone affter all? All these oother guys are having poor performance but no crashes?

Just for more background:

Falcon 4 ran pretty well on my system with only an occasional crash. F-15, EAW, CFS, F-22 ADF, IAF and USAF all run fine, though USAF has crashed at least once in several weeks.

Thanks.

God hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jlarson88
Member # 955

posted 11-16-1999 09:51 AM     Profile for Jlarson88   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I downloaded the July Voodoo 3 drivers (see the thread in this forum) and now F2 finally WORKS!!! I had a PIII 500, brand new, and the drivers that came with the computer were so new they wouldn't work with F2.

If anybody else is having this problem, get those old drivers.

But, SSI, can you patch this so that we can go back to using the new drivers?

James Larson

Joe
unregistered

posted 11-16-1999 12:03 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Creative 3D Blaster Banshee 16 MB.

I installed the game last night with great anticipation after doing the usual scandisk,
defrag, etc...The install went fine.

I started the sim and saw a really nice opening movie and then, boom crashed back
to my desktop. Zilch, nada, nothing.

I have an AMD K6-2 350 mhz, 128 MB RAM, and a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee 16 MB. I am using the 3dfx reference drivers dated around April 99. I also have Win 98 Second Edition with DirectX 7.0 installed.

All of the following sims run fine with this setup:

Jane's F-15, FleetCommand, USAF.
Microprose Falcon 4.0, patch 1.07.
Looking Glass Flight Unlimited III.
Red Storm Rogue Spear.

So what's the deal here with Flanker not running? I looked at the readme file but did
not see anything referring to problems with the Banshee. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-16-1999 06:42 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The version of Voodoo3 drivers that work with F2 is narrow. v3w9x-figs-oem_1.02.11 and earlier works fine but 1.02.18 and later does not.
DirectX7 is not a problem however.

BW
unregistered

posted 11-18-1999 08:58 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All of my other sims work fine except for Flanker 2. I have a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee 16 MB. It is a pain in the arse to have to switch to 16-bit color everytime I want to run this damn game. For now it is wiped off my harddrive until a patch comes out. Lousy deal!
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-19-1999 05:33 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh come on BW. Changing desktop color resolutions takes all of ten seconds. And for this minor aggravation you're denying yourself an excellent flight sim?
BW
unregistered

posted 11-19-1999 07:22 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who asked you Mr. Hewett? This is a half-assed flight sim that has been highly over-rated and hyped.

It really doesn't compare to Jane's F-15 or Falcon 4.0 at all. It is in a much lower class.

And yes, having to change your desktop color to 16-bit to run a sim is ridiculous. What kind of clueless wonders are writing the code for this thing anyway.

So, my message to you is bite me numbnut.

Mailman
Member # 14

posted 11-19-1999 12:27 PM     Profile for Mailman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BW said "Who asked you Mr. Hewett? This is a half-assed flight sim that has been highly over-rated and hyped."

wow, for a second there I thought you were talking about Falcon4!

Nah, this comes squarly under the idiot user syndrome field....if you cant take the time to change colour to 16bits then thats your problem.

If you dont like the sim return it and stay over in that empty F4 forum.

Regards

Mailman

Posts: 766 | From: Wellington, New Zealand | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-19-1999 02:12 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No problem BW, call me whatever you like. [presuming you're an American] I fought for your right to Free Speech.
Anyways, I'm fairly sure you have no concept of which I speak, and your reply gave me a good chuckle.
Semper Fi,
LtCol W.H. Hewett USMC

Juergen
Member # 821

posted 11-19-1999 02:35 PM     Profile for Juergen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi BW, flying doesn´t seem to be your business. So please stay in your Falcon -
Forum. I´m sure that there are lots of arcade gamers, who understand your silly talking.

Posts: 5 | From: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stormin'
Member # 105

posted 11-19-1999 03:42 PM     Profile for Stormin'     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LtCol Hewett,

Semper Fi and a belated Happy 224th B-day to you, Sir.

Best Wishes,
Carl
Former Captain of Marines

------------------
Carl C. Norman
Exective Producer
Combat Simulations Group
Mattel Interactive/SSI

Stormin'
Member # 105

posted 11-19-1999 03:43 PM     Profile for Stormin'     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BW,

Voodoo cards only work in 16 bit when running in Direct 3D only. It ain't the code, it's the card.

Don't be insulting my fellow Marines here! <g>

Carl

------------------
Carl C. Norman
Exective Producer
Combat Simulations Group
Mattel Interactive/SSI

[This message has been edited by combatsim_ssi (edited 11-19-1999).]

Shotgun
Member # 1005

posted 11-19-1999 04:57 PM     Profile for Shotgun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well,
O.K., Carl. But...most programs can switch the mode to the one they want, or warn us to switch...not just bailout to the desktop without a peep. That's the code..not the card.

Posts: 199 | From: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-19-1999 04:58 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I knew I instictively liked you for some reason Capt Norman. :-)
And a belated Happy 224th to you Sir!

Mailman
Member # 14

posted 11-19-1999 07:45 PM     Profile for Mailman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well hold on there shotgun, its the card if it cant handle 16bit colour.

Regards

Mailman

Posts: 766 | From: Wellington, New Zealand | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stormin'
Member # 105

posted 11-19-1999 07:51 PM     Profile for Stormin'     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It can handle 16 bit color using Glide, not D3D. Flanker doesn't support Glide.

Carl

------------------
Carl C. Norman
Exective Producer
Combat Simulations Group
Mattel Interactive/SSI

Shotgun
Member # 1005

posted 11-19-1999 08:48 PM     Profile for Shotgun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, I agree. Unfortunately, the programmer in me wants a decent error handler...something that gives a clue as to what's up. It's just not a good idea to give the average user a "splat" like that right off the bat. Of course, we can deal with it here, 'cause we ain't average
Posts: 199 | From: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kbar
unregistered

posted 11-21-1999 11:47 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why doesn't Flanker 2.0 support Glide Mr. Norman?

Do you feel that Glide is being phased out and D3D is taking over? It seems like most of the new sims coming out are for D3D primarily, althought they do support Glide. I have never had another sim where I have had to change the desktop to 16-bit color before starting the game.

Will the patch you are working on support Glide? I am no programmer so please give me an idea of how it works and the basis of your decision not to support Glide.

Thanks!

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.