my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Sound, Video, & Monitors   » Trouble with Voodoo 5!!!

Author Topic: Trouble with Voodoo 5!!!
Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-10-2000 07:22 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haven't been able to get it running.
Installation went straight forward. 2d screen looked fine. Went right to Falcon 4. The 3dfx logo spins around then a BLACK SCREEN FREEZE. (sorry about that).I tried it a few more times with other titles. It wouldn't open any game. Took the card out, put it back in. Now the resolution is stuck at 600x400 and I'm really bummed.
Now I have the card back in the box. And I put the TNT card back in the puter.
I have a suspicion that it might be the mobo. P3v4x? what do you think?

Posts: 241 | From: North Hills, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 06-10-2000 10:21 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Faulty voodoo card. Take it back and try another one.

------------------
Joke 'em if they can't take a....

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
KC23
Member # 18

posted 06-11-2000 12:33 AM     Profile for KC23   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you remove your previous drivers from the tnt card? You might want to do that and change to the standard vga setting prior to trying to install again.
Posts: 518 | From: Canyon Country, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-11-2000 07:39 AM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KC23 - Thanks for the tip, but did that about 8 times! As I said above, I have some suspicion about the Asus P3V4X. My Montego 2 Quadzila sound card has a known conflict with the Apollo Via chip and I'm waiting for new drivers (hopefully soon) from Turtle Beach.
I haven't heard of anyone else with a problem at all. I just hope the exchange solves the problem and it happens fast. All the eager anticipation and then THIS. - McFly

[This message has been edited by Tyler McFly (edited 06-11-2000).]

Kraigman
Member # 197

posted 06-11-2000 08:41 AM     Profile for Kraigman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also check your monitor. Mine was set to DEFAULT MONITOR, which locked me in at 640-480. Make sure you manually ID your monitor...
Posts: 144 | From: Franklin, MA. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 06-11-2000 02:33 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had the same prob..install DX7 or if you have it installed, reinstall it. The probs with DX7 were with the TNT cards anyway. Once I installed DX7, F4 ran the best it has ever run...missions even re-load faster.
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-11-2000 05:29 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All day tinkering and I'm more convinced that ever it's the MOBO. I put the V5 in my other puter with an Abit BE6 and everything was fine, so obviously the V5 is OK. I'll be calling Asus in the morning!

Kraigman - Thanks for the tip about the default monitor. That was the reason for the fixed resolution.

Is there a utility out there to check your PCI bus? - Thanks for your ideas. - McFly

Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-11-2000 05:32 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot to ask. Is anyone up-and-running with the V5 and Asus P3V4X combo? - McFly
Greggy_D
Member # 692

posted 06-12-2000 06:51 AM     Profile for Greggy_D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Tyler, once again I see we purchase the same components for our PC! Yes, I'm running the V5 with the P3V4X and I'm not having any problems. But then again, I started with a clean hard drive (as I tend to do every 3-4 months). I'm not saying that you have to do the same, but let me know what Asus says......

------------------
Greggy D.

Posts: 199 | From: Livonia, MI, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 06-12-2000 12:32 PM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The problem could be your power supply. The latest article suggests that the 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 is a high power consumption card that needs at least a 235 watt power supply for stable operation. See the article at -- http://www.ixbt-labs.com/video/voodoo5-5500.html
Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-12-2000 12:34 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greggy_D
Hello again. I did start with a formated HD. . .twice! I'm going to install the latest VIA drivers from their site when I get home. A suggestion from the tech at 3dfx.
Did you install the 4in1 4.22? or did it work with the drivers on the disk? I used the one suggested by Tom's Hardware (4.17 I think} once and the one on the disk once.

Another quirk is the Turtle Beach sound card that won't install either. Diagnostic says failed PCI bus. The trouble may be related.

Thanks for your interest. - McFly

eserron
Member # 95

posted 06-12-2000 12:40 PM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you don't have to look all over the article for the relevant passage, here is what it says about the power requirements of the Voodoo5 5500:

########snip#######

Take a look at the right side of the PCB. Here you can see an additional voltage regulator and a four-pin connector for the power supply cable similar to those of HDDs or FDDs. As we have found out, the graphics card is unable to work without this power supply. However, we can't say for sure what is powered through this cable. In general, we have to point out that the card requires a high quality power supply unit (at least 250W), otherwise there may appear some problems in most gaming applications. We faced this kind of problems when we tried to run the card in Inwin Solist A500 case with PowerMan FFP 235-60GTW power supply unit intended for 235W. The card proved unstable and finally stopped working in all 3D games.

#########snip#########

Hope this helps.

Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-12-2000 02:12 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eserron, Thanks for the help. I'll check the power supply when I get home. I believe it's rated at 250w.
That's a very long and interesting review. - McFly

Greggy_D
Member # 692

posted 06-12-2000 02:40 PM     Profile for Greggy_D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tyler, yes it was with the 4.22 4-in-1 drivers and then I added the 4.03 AGP driver from VIA. Hope this helps my friend.

------------------
Greggy D.

Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-12-2000 09:16 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Something is very wrong. I can't even make a bios boot disk without the damn thing freezing! It wouldn't install the 4in1 either. Got error: Not Installed. File wouldn't open. That's It! This board is gone. I'd send it in for repair to Asus but they say it takes about 30 days to turn one around. Hell, it will be obsolete by then, if it isn't already. Thanks for all your suggestions. McFly

PS: I just ordered an Abet VT64X. . .we'll see what happens.

[This message has been edited by Tyler McFly (edited 06-12-2000).]

Greggy_D
Member # 692

posted 06-13-2000 06:23 AM     Profile for Greggy_D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tyler, sorry to hear that man. Good luck with the new board.

------------------
Greggy D.

RCR10GT
Member # 5087

posted 06-13-2000 02:36 PM     Profile for RCR10GT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like the game to me i had the same problem with my matrox g400 max and f4 and alot of other games. make sure the card dosen't have a conflict and you have the latest drivers and driectX not opengl or glide this includes your sound card drivers and your mobo drivers and the latest video card BIOS drivers.

[This message has been edited by RCR10GT (edited 06-13-2000).]

Posts: 26 | From: Some where over the rainbow | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 06-14-2000 09:57 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Greggy_D... Whats your rate for the P3V-4X..
I got this ****** P3C2000 intel 820 sh!tset serie. I was thining changing it to the P3V-4X as i can´t go on athlon K7V for the reason below

It has no ISA slot and i have a gamecard ISA from CH to integrate my hotas.
Do any of you know a PCI gamecard or game periferical integrator??

Heretic

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
RCR10GT
Member # 5087

posted 06-14-2000 11:31 AM     Profile for RCR10GT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thrustmaster make one.
Posts: 26 | From: Some where over the rainbow | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Greggy_D
Member # 692

posted 06-14-2000 12:25 PM     Profile for Greggy_D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The P3V4X DOES have an ISA slot. I love the board and haven't had any problems with it.

------------------
Greggy D.

Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 06-23-2000 12:02 PM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If anybody is interest? I still haven't got this thing running yet. Even the new MB had the same results.
One thing I didn't mention before was that I had a P3 733 flip chip with an Asus Slot 370 adapter for slot 1. Talking to Asus this morning the tech said that there have been compatibility problems with the P3V4X adapted to Slot 370. Nice to find out now! Anyway, they are making new adapters that take care of this problem.
This might have been my problem all along. - McFly

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.