my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » Sound, Video, & Monitors   » TNT2 Ultra question?

Author Topic: TNT2 Ultra question?
adamgul
Member # 492

posted 01-21-2000 04:11 AM     Profile for adamgul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi!

Is the hier clock speed of viper 770 ultra dependent on the drivers or is made by hardware. Im asking cas i have a viper 770 ultra and was thinking of downloading the new Detonation drivers (3.68) But on Nvidias download page i can only find TNT2 drivers, is it the same for Ultra or am i going to lose the higher speed of the ultra bye installing this driver?

This is probably a stupid question but hey you cant know every thing.

Posts: 52 | From: Stockholm Sweden | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 01-21-2000 09:48 AM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The clock speed of the TNT2 Ultra is determined by the bios on the graphics card, not by the drivers. Some drivers (not the generic Nvidia ones) come with software that permits you to change the clock speed in the bios. But it is still the bios that determine what that speed is, not the drivers. The generic Nvidia driver for the TNT2 also works with the TNT2 Ultra.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
adamgul
Member # 492

posted 01-22-2000 11:54 AM     Profile for adamgul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi!

Thanks for the help!

Im going to download 3.68 right away.

Posts: 52 | From: Stockholm Sweden | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
civdiv
Member # 2179

posted 01-22-2000 11:45 PM     Profile for civdiv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried the NVidea drivers and they screwed-up my system so bad I thought that I was going to have to reload my OS. I managed to force myself into the system and go back to the last build of the Diamond drivers. My system:

AMD K6-III 450
196megs SDRAM
Windows 98 (1st edition but with all upgrades)
DirectX 7.0a
Diamond Ultra 770
Diamond Monster II w/ 12 megs
SB Pro

Posts: 4 | From: Monterey, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 01-23-2000 06:02 AM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The new Nvidia drivers cause no problems on my system: Abit BX6R2, 256MB SDRAM, Diamond 770 Ultra, Canopus Pure3d II, Diamond MX300 sound, Win98SE, DirectX 7.0.

Are you sure you installed them correctly? You must first delete the Diamond In Control Tools software, and change the driver for the Video card to a generic VGA driver. Then install the Nvidia driver. If you don't completely uninstall the Diamond driver and software first, you can run into serious problems.

BandCamp
Member # 2196

posted 01-23-2000 11:48 AM     Profile for BandCamp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eserron, you seem to know a bit about Nvidia drivers. I upgraded to 3.68 from 3.53 by just using the executable from the Nvidia site. I have Diamond In Control Tools installed and it recognizes my new drivers. Should I be concerned? Also, do you know anything about the 3.69 drivers? (Does anyone know anything specific about the 3.69 drivers?):confused

------------------
Like, one time at band camp...

Posts: 32 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 01-23-2000 12:13 PM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you aren't experiencing problems, then you nave nothing to be concerned about. I must say though, that I'm surprised Diamond In Control Tools will recognize generic Nvidia drivers. Diamond recommends that you uninstall their software and drivers completely before using generic drivers from the chip manufacturer. And I've seen computers refuse to boot (and instead go directly into safe mode) when you don't follow that procedure. I think Nvidia recommends the same thing--that you first remove the graphics card manufacturer's proprietary software and drivers before installing their generic drivers. Once you have Nvidia's generic driver installed, then you can install updated Nvidia drivers without having to first remove the earlier version of Nvidia's drivers.

But as I said at the beginning, if you've got Nvidia's generic drivers working with Diamond's In Control Tools, and you aren't experiencing any problems, then I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the 3.69 driver, I didn't know there was anything more recent than 3.68. I'm using the 3.68 drivers, which I downloaded from Nvidia's website only a few days ago. If the 3.69 driver is a "beta" driver, I avoid using "beta" drivers unless there is a compelling reason to use them--"beta" means they aren't done yet!

BandCamp
Member # 2196

posted 01-23-2000 08:49 PM     Profile for BandCamp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eserron, everything appears to be working fine with the Diamond Tools and the Nvidia reference drivers, thanks for the reply.

3.69 are available at http://www.reactorcritical.com/

------------------
Like, one time at band camp...

Posts: 32 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
civdiv
Member # 2179

posted 01-24-2000 12:46 AM     Profile for civdiv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I switched to Standard PCI Adaptor (VGA), rebooted, and then installed the NVidea drivers (Manually through 'update driver'). I didn't uninstall In Control Tools, though all the tabs in my graphics set-up changed to NVidea. So in my case, uninstall In Control Tools? Should I do a manual driver search 'update drivers' or use the executable? I read on another board that a change from 3.52 - 3.68 actually LOWERED a guys FPS for Panzer Elite. Another guy said his FPS went up to 114, and he damaged his monitor, very weird.
Posts: 4 | From: Monterey, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 01-24-2000 08:30 AM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Nvidia has a separate downloadable file for manual driver installation. To install the drivers automatically (without going through the "Have Disk" routine), you need a different executable file, which is posted by Nvidia on the same webpage that has the drivers for manual installation. The method of install (manual or automatic) depends on which file you downloaded.

As for In Control Tools, again, my recommendation would be to uninstall it before you install Nvidia's generic drivers. If you look in the In Control Tools icon group, there is a separate icon that says "Uninstall." Double click the icon and follow the instructions. Note, however, that this uninstall process will not uninstall the diamond proprietary driver--only In Control Tools. You need to separately change from the diamond proprietary driver to the Standard VGA display driver before installing the NVidia driver.

I've followed this routine with Diamond graphics cards for years (I've had the Diamond Stealth 3D 3000, the Diamond Monster Fusion, and the Diamond V770 Ultra) and I've never had any driver installation problems doing it this way. It's definitely the safest way to get the job done.

Datajack
Member # 1437

posted 01-24-2000 10:28 AM     Profile for Datajack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey eserron, as stated above, you seem to know alot about the TNT cards. A friend of mine is going to give me the a TNT card, its the 2MB nvidia TNT 2 Pro. I when to nvidia.com, but I could not find any drivers for this specific card. What is the latest driver for this card and where can I download it from?

Thanks,
Datajack

Posts: 483 | From: Miami Fl, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Datajack
Member # 1437

posted 01-24-2000 10:29 AM     Profile for Datajack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops, its the 32MB nvidia TNT 2 Pro, not the 2MB nvidia TNT 2 Pro. Sorry!

Datajack

Boxman
Member # 213

posted 01-24-2000 11:25 AM     Profile for Boxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Datajack,
The 3.53 Detonator drivers & the 3.68 Detonator drivers can both be used with your TNT2 At Nvidia's site there is a palce where you click if you have TNT,TNT2, GeForce..etc...it doesn't list each card separatly.

Boxman

Posts: 179 | From: Thousand Oaks, Ca. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Datajack
Member # 1437

posted 01-24-2000 11:55 AM     Profile for Datajack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will be getting the Pro version, not the Ultra. Are the drivers the same for both cards? Also, which version should I use: the 3.53 Detonator drivers or the 3.68 Detonator
driver? What's the difference?

Also, I don't know too much about this particular card. How does it compare with other cards like the Voodoo3?

Thanks again,
Datajack

Gooneybird
unregistered

posted 01-26-2000 02:51 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently bought an OEM Viper 770 Ultra graphics card. The CDROM I received with the card says Viper 770 install disk only.
When I installed the InControl Tools 99
software, I can not find the tool to overclock my graphics card, as advertised by
Diamond's website as included with the Ultra
card. I've uninstalled and re-installed the Incontrol Tools 99 software and it is nowhere to be found. What am I doing wrong?

IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 01-26-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I recall, to get to the "turbo" feature, you have to click the "Advanced" button on the settings tab. If that doesn't get you to the "turbo" and other custom settings, go to Diamond's website (www.diamondmm.com or www.s3.com) and download the drivers for the V770 Ultra off the web site. If you must have the "turbo" feature, you'll want to make sure that you download the older driver posted on the website, NOT the most recent one (since it does not include the turbo feature).

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.