my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » CPU's, RAM, & Storage   » Troubleshooting Question........?

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Question........?
Softball
Member # 1953

posted 02-17-2000 05:22 PM     Profile for Softball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has a K6-300, 64MB SDRAM, V3 2000 video card, a 56K modem, SB 16 SOund card, and a 13.0G Western Digital Hard drive. He is running Windows 98 V 1.0. He recently formatted the Hard drive and re-installed and updated ALL drivers. The CPU and MB(unknown type) are about 2 years old. Now for the problem. When he shuts down the computer for the night, he turns on the computer in the AM, it says something about the registry settings not being correct and keeps telling him that he needs to restart the computer. If you hit F8 and choose confirm loadup, it will boot into Windows. Of course the video drivers are screwed up and he gets 16 colors and 640x480 res. Can someone shed some light on what might be happening here? The only thing I can think of is that the BIOS battery is not working? If the BIOS battery is low or bad, would that cause the registry to get messed up and the video drivers changed to generic? Maybe the motherboard is bad? Any help would be appreciated.
Softball out.

Posts: 89 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Smeghead
Member # 805

posted 02-18-2000 11:27 AM     Profile for Smeghead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unlikely. The registry it a little database (little in the grand scheme of things!) that Windows uses to store just about all of its configuration. It sits on your hard drive, so it's pretty unlikely that the CMOS battery is directly screwing up the registry.

I suppose that if the CMOS battery is failing, then the CMOS settings could be screwed up. Windows could then boot into an environment that may be different from when it last shut down - it doesn't understand what it's seeing, so it goes bugf*ck.

The easiest way I can think of of checking the battery is by looking at the system clock. If the clock is keeping thime, then the battery is fine, and your BIOS settings should be OK.

Other causes? I don't know. You could try installing windows on a bare minimum system - strip out the soundcard and modem, and any other fluff that's in there that's not critical to system operation. Install Windows and see what happens. If that's stable, install 1 piece of hardware at a time, and see if it goes mental on any individual bit.

This may be worth doing, as when you boot in safe mode, Windows doesn't touch a lot of extraneous stuff like modems & network cards and so on, so it may be bypassing the problem that way.

That's all I can think of right now.

Posts: 1143 | From: Chicago, IL - a Brit abroad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 02-18-2000 12:00 PM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In addition to what Smeghead suggests, you might try running a virus scanner (with all of the latest definitions), since viruses can sometimes cause this type of behavior. You might also try running a thorough scandisk, checking the physical disk for bad sectors (sometimes bad sectors can cause this type of thing too). And in addition to Smeghead's suggestion of a "bare minimum" system in terms of components, you might try reinstalling a "bare minimum" operating system without loading any other applications, particularly those with TSRs (I'm speculating that a bad Terminate and Stay Resident Program might screw up the registry at shut down).
Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.