my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » CPU's, RAM, & Storage   » Question

Author Topic: Question
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 02-10-2000 03:59 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For flight sims, PIII 600 or PIII 550E? Sharky Ex. says that the 550E can be o/c to 700 plus. What's the opinions of this set up?
Thanks!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-10-2000 06:51 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coppermine, hands down. If you want to take a 500 or 550 that high you'll need good ram and a motherboard to take it there. A 600 is easier on the bus speeds but more $.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 02-10-2000 09:58 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Kraut FWIW I have a 550E FC-PGA on order for my new system. Everything I've read about these is very favorable. They are cheaper than the standard PIII,even with the cost of the Sloket II added. Now if INTEL will just get thier s*** together and start shipping.....BTW I ain't no expert about these things just repeating what I've found thru a little research and some kind and helpful suggestions along the way.
Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 02-11-2000 02:25 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yo Kraut! Sounds like you got the condition as me, A Disease know as Upgradeus Maximus (You Twitch when reading Hardware Forums, walking by Computer stores Etc.) The Coppermine is the way to go! Built one 500E System with a BF6 runs 700 at stock voltage(1.6) CPU 32-34 degrees after 2hours of 3D looping (3D mark 2000)Hope your BE6 is the BE6II as its new bios will give you the Coppermine Settings and should clear up some Ram Discrepencies. My Board still hates Micron Vanilla PC133 Ram.(Puked at 125 bus)Tried 3 sticks of 128 megs yet the LG PC100 I have does 140 Bus no problems. Saved me $250 Canadian pesos as I took back the Micron Ram.
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 02-11-2000 08:36 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really thank you peoples for the responses. I talked to my place of purchase today & they said that the PIII 450 I got now & the PIII 600 are 512 cache where the PIII 550E is only 256. Would this be a problem or lessen the benefits of such an upgrade.
With the Asus 256, I lost a few FPS & I'm just trying to get them back. I noticed a slight jerking motion in EAW with the sky full of planes & flak. This is with everthing maxed out & I really don't want to back off on these settings.
Thanks!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

eserron
Member # 95

posted 02-11-2000 08:46 PM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually Kraut, if you're someone who wants to overclock your chip into the stratosphere, the PIII 550 E will probably overclock better than the PIII 600.

The difference cache size is deceiving. Although the PIII 600 has 512k cache, the cache is "off die" (i.e., separate from the chip) and runs at half the speed of the processor (i.e. 300mhz). The 256k cache on the PIII 550E is "on die" (i.e., integrated into the CPU itself) and thus runs at the full speed of the processor (i.e., 550 mhz). That, plus the improved architecture of the "Coppermine" chip, will make the 256k cache on the PIII 550E perform as well as the 512k cache on the PIII 600.

The fact that the cache on the PIII 550E is "on die" is also a benefit for overclocking. Because it's "on die," it's of the same quality as the chip itself (and higher quality than "off die" cache). "On die" cache will overclock right along with the CPU -- you don't have to worry about the CPU itself overclocking, but the "off die" cache not being able to handle the increase in speed. That's why the Celeron 300A was such an overclocker's dream!

Hope this helps.

Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-11-2000 09:12 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coppermine has different physical cache design than Katmai cores like yours. It's built into the cpu instead of soldered on the board next to it. So comparing #'s doesn't tell the story.

I've seen EAW at 450 with 50 smoking B17's and flak. One of the first things I ran on my coppermine was EAW, at 1600 res. The copermine was wheelin' and dealin', and EAW surrendered to the feelin' (ala Frank Zappa)

Your rig ought to play EAW at 1280 anyway, must be a bug in it somewhere.

Edited: I wasn't repeating ya esseron, just typing while you posted..

[This message has been edited by Truro (edited 02-11-2000).]

Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 02-13-2000 03:05 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would Y'all like some mora? Right here on the Floora? How bout You Fauna, Y'wanna? Frank Zappa Is My Beethoven! And Uhh Ya man get the Coppermine!
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 02-15-2000 05:26 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, a PIII 550E would be a better deal than a PIII 600? Better in the sense of "overclockability" so better frame rates?
Thanks!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-15-2000 07:06 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes.

Just to clarify a little. There are many different types of pentium 3 chips at the moment. Simple answer is buy any coppermine PIII you want. Make sure it is 256 on die cache, with 100 bus speed. Do not buy one with 512 external cache.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.