my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » CPU's, RAM, & Storage   » RAM timings and bios settings

Author Topic: RAM timings and bios settings
Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-10-2000 10:31 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
specs:

bx6.2 / 128 muskin/samsung pc100 gh / 600e slot1 / V3

Was not flawless at 133 so I backed off to 129 without trying hard. I understand what cas2/3 is in general, but not the indivual settings in bios and how they might affect things. Can you comment on:

1. do you think error checking mode for L2 and ram would do anything. Also L2 timing.

sdram
2. ras to cas delay
3. ras precharge time
4. cas latentcy time

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Armchair Aviator
Member # 931

posted 02-11-2000 08:50 AM     Profile for Armchair Aviator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heya Truro,

Hmm... I have no idea how changing the Row Addressing Strobe settings will affect the system.. But setting CAS latency to higher values will give the SDRAM more time to catch up if the bus speed is higher than what the DIMM is rated for, right?

I remember various attempts with fiddling with the L2 latency back last year when the holy grail in every Celeron 300A owner's quest is 504mHz. =) The reports seem mixed-- Some C300As apparently have L2 cache that can't handle 504mHz and so needs to be throttled back a bit with a higher L2 latency. Disabling L2 ECC would also speed things up a bit.

(grin) NOW I'M TEMPTED TO ORDER A P3 Cumine-E! =)

Armchair Aviator

Posts: 502 | From: Forest Hills, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Smeghead
Member # 805

posted 02-11-2000 09:37 AM     Profile for Smeghead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I played about with the ECC checking of the L2 cache a while back. I think I got about 100 points more CPU mark in 3D Mark '99, but no actual increase in performance. As for increasing overcloking potential, I dunno. I'd be very surprised.

As far as I know, fiddling with the strobe timing won't get you anywhere for overclocking. These are just the timings involved in refreshing the DRAM cells, and shouldn't have anything to do with accessing memory. You may get a tiny bit of performance from dropping the times as the DRAM controller won't have to wait as long while memory is being refreshed, but it'll be miniscule.

Anyway, don't take that as law - it's just my spin on things.

Oh, is that last 24MHz REALLY that worth it, Truro?

Posts: 1143 | From: Chicago, IL - a Brit abroad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-11-2000 09:56 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A guy at anand's reminded me of Adrian Wong's bios guide, he's one of Abit's main men, for lack of remembering his real job description.
http://epsilon.silicon.net.my/adrian/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_Index.htm

The chip is nice, a bit pricey compared to what they surely will be in a month or two. They're doing a new stepping due out in April. An article at voodooextreme mentioned the idea of Intel frequency locking again, don't know the facts about that story. If you're thinking about putting it on your bh6, there's a lot of talk about what revisions work, officially and unofficially.
You might need to swap out that chick's bf6 you built.

Smeg: The last 24? I wouldn't stop there, I have bus settings up to 153 or so But you're right, once you get into the mid 700's whats the diff. I bet the chip is loafing at default volts now with the board or ram being the limiting factor.

Thing about this chip, I was trying to justify the cost vs speed gain over the celeron at 450. You know, 450 to 750, thats 300, but Falcon 2D cockpit jumped up to 35-40 in TE. I flew F4 online campaign last night, at 1024 2D it was about 27 when not in the thick of things. I only play F4 casually, but if I was a hardcore fella, a coppermine or maybe athlon would be on my mind. The other big plus, if things shape up like that hardocp article suggests, is that I have a great dx7 T&L engine, thrown in for free. Now all I need is some FSAA, lol.

[This message has been edited by Truro (edited 02-11-2000).]

Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-12-2000 07:32 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sure is quiet around here tonight, guess I'll turn on a light bulb in the cpu forum

I pulled an Armchair Aviator last night, got ballsy and went looking for my limits. Set volts at 1.75, and ram to 139, cas 3. It posted at 828, that was the highlight, then things got ugly, LOL. Registry error, and Winblows tried a restore while it was still at 828. Things looked hosed after that, reported corrupted registry, no windows loading, was late and tired so I turned it off. This morning I went into safe mode and saved my stuff to another partition, getting ready for a W98 reinstall. Rebooted into bios to take a look around and make sure things were stock, and let it start up. It loaded Windows like nothing ever happened, no problem. Guess it just needed to sleep it off

Anyway, you guys who are setting up your new hot rod systems, I suggest you get all the trial and error of finding a stable speed out of the way before loading up all your software and periphreals, in case you hose your registry, etc.

eserron
Member # 95

posted 02-12-2000 09:12 PM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Truro: You overclockers never cease to amaze me with your exploits. While I know exactly how to do it (i.e., overclock), I've never had the cajones to void the warranty on my cpu. Yea, Yea, Yea, I know I'd get more FPS, but I guess I just don't have the right stuff when it comes to going over the edge (falling off a cliff) and having to start all over again. But I confess having a certain admiration for those who like living on the edge.
Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-12-2000 11:05 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You should go to anandtech.com or overclockers.com and read, You would think I'm a little old Lady holding up traffic compared to what some people do, hehe.
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 02-13-2000 02:58 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally I'm a Self confessed Conservative Overclocker, I never jack the Voltage up and never never go near any components with some sand paper. My 1st experience was not a good one,(P2 300 Klamath) 3.3 Volts and a 35 Micron Core does not make a stellar Chip for overclocking. I had some success with Celeron 333 got 416 (83 bus), Then a P2 450 @ 504, a P3 [email protected](112 Bus) and my Favorite the P3 500E @ 700(140 Bus) All Stock Voltage and Look Ma no Sandpaper!
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-13-2000 06:46 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hear ya Hunedog. My first homebuilt was a 300a, it ran default 2.0 volts. This coppermine is my second. It's default too, now that I had my little fling. I like to take whats easy and end up on a friendly bus speed, pci wise. I even underclocked it to 400 just to see how it compared.

I missed the age of pressuring the old marginal chips for an extra 10% gain....

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.